I must be sick.
it's 4 in the morning and I'm reading an old post on Big Soccer that started with a complaint about people mispronouncing players' names and degenerated into an argument seemingly about people not being able to pronounce things in their native languages. As someone who likes languages and tries to pronounce various athletes' names in their native languages (unless it sounds funny), I still have no idea what in the world is going on. (For example, during the Euros, it made me laugh when the American announcers would pronounce "David" in English and "Villa" in Spanish. And as for another athlete named David, I pronounce Mr. Ortiz's first name in English. And I always, always pronounce Clemens in English.)
I'm thinking that one person can't hear the difference between the H sounds in most English words and CH as in the Scottish Loch or the German Ach. The latter is the sound I'm making right now with a cold.
I'm thinking that one person can't hear the difference between the H sounds in most English words and CH as in the Scottish Loch or the German Ach. The latter is the sound I'm making right now with a cold.
Labels: blathering

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home