Lately, I feel the need to remind people that just because you like something doesn't mean it's good. Just because something is somehow pleasing to you doesn't mean it's well-done, well-made, well-performed, well-written, or just admired by its peers in the same field as being exemplary. There are things that are well-loved and good at the same time, but I wish people would identify the difference. A lot of people say that "_______ is sooo good!" but what they actually mean is "I love ______!" And then there are the people who think an athlete is good because he's hot, which is just sick and wrong.
Here are some examples of the difference between "things I like" and "things that are good."
Things that I like that I don't think are good:
1) Girls Aloud. Based on youtube clips I've heard of the individual singers, they basically can't sing. I can sing better than they can, based solely on having perfect pitch. But they're fun to listen to, and I think they have a great production team, and I mean "their production team is more than capable at what they do."
2) Alan Smith. He's hot and all, and I know he's been injured, and he gives his all on the pitch, but he's a striker who's scored two competitive goals in the last three seasons!
Things that I think are good but can't stand:
1) The New York Yankees. 'Nuff said.
2) The Tennessee women's basketball team. Yuck. I hate hate hate Pat Summitt and think she's evil, but her team plays good basketball.
Things that I like and think are good, but I have no proof others agree they're good:
1) Barenaked Ladies. I think Ed's a great guitar player and Steve has a great voice, but I have not heard many music experts discuss their musical prowess. And I always have fun at their concerts.
Things that I like and have heard other people describe as good, and I agree with them:
1) Michael Ballack. Two goals against Manchester United this past Saturday, y'all.
2) The Boston Red Sox. Too many people seem to think they're good, and too many people like them for my taste. I think I've slipped in a puddle of Jacoby Ellsbury drool that someone forgot to mop up.
Things I like and have heard other people describe as good but I disagree:
1) Owen Hargreaves. He's hot and Canadian, but I can't tell from his play why he's an England regular.
Things that I hate so much I can't even admit that they're good even though they're generally thought to be among the best at what they do in the world:
1) Cristiano Ronaldo. He's a total showboat with the ball. He gets so petulant, sulky and offended when he doesn't score that it totally turns me off. He dives and whines. And I get so grossed out by every picture of him designed to force me think he's good-looking that I hate his play even more. He waxes his chest, he has a greasy frohawk, and I can see the veins on his abs. The more I see of him, the more I hate him, and the more I hate him, the more I hate his play.
Also, there are a whole bunch of people who think that things they hate also suck. While the "Yankees Suck" chant is oodles of fun, they don't suck.
Here are some examples of the difference between "things I like" and "things that are good."
Things that I like that I don't think are good:
1) Girls Aloud. Based on youtube clips I've heard of the individual singers, they basically can't sing. I can sing better than they can, based solely on having perfect pitch. But they're fun to listen to, and I think they have a great production team, and I mean "their production team is more than capable at what they do."
2) Alan Smith. He's hot and all, and I know he's been injured, and he gives his all on the pitch, but he's a striker who's scored two competitive goals in the last three seasons!
Things that I think are good but can't stand:
1) The New York Yankees. 'Nuff said.
2) The Tennessee women's basketball team. Yuck. I hate hate hate Pat Summitt and think she's evil, but her team plays good basketball.
Things that I like and think are good, but I have no proof others agree they're good:
1) Barenaked Ladies. I think Ed's a great guitar player and Steve has a great voice, but I have not heard many music experts discuss their musical prowess. And I always have fun at their concerts.
Things that I like and have heard other people describe as good, and I agree with them:
1) Michael Ballack. Two goals against Manchester United this past Saturday, y'all.
2) The Boston Red Sox. Too many people seem to think they're good, and too many people like them for my taste. I think I've slipped in a puddle of Jacoby Ellsbury drool that someone forgot to mop up.
Things I like and have heard other people describe as good but I disagree:
1) Owen Hargreaves. He's hot and Canadian, but I can't tell from his play why he's an England regular.
Things that I hate so much I can't even admit that they're good even though they're generally thought to be among the best at what they do in the world:
1) Cristiano Ronaldo. He's a total showboat with the ball. He gets so petulant, sulky and offended when he doesn't score that it totally turns me off. He dives and whines. And I get so grossed out by every picture of him designed to force me think he's good-looking that I hate his play even more. He waxes his chest, he has a greasy frohawk, and I can see the veins on his abs. The more I see of him, the more I hate him, and the more I hate him, the more I hate his play.
Also, there are a whole bunch of people who think that things they hate also suck. While the "Yankees Suck" chant is oodles of fun, they don't suck.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home