No good?

18.2.08

I was trying to figure out how much of this story I wanted to blather online, but I wanted to discuss my weekend and now I just came up with something I can discuss.

I took my mother to see "Rent" on Saturday night, and the guy playing Roger, Declan Bennett, is English. (Though I thought Declan was an Irish name...) For the first half of the show, his accent was pretty hidden. *drools at the memory of him and Tamyra Gray singing "Light My Candle"* But in the second half his accent shined through to the point where he was actually singing in an English accent. The way I hear it, most English/British singers sing in "American" accents. I swear most non-opera singers sing in American accents.

Except for the Spice Girls, whose greatest hits album I found for $10 at the Times Square Virgin Megastore. They rhyme "holler" and "follow," two words that don't rhyme in my vocabulary. I think they sing in some sort of compromised accent though, because due to my inability to understand one particular Leeds native (though it might be that his inexplicably-deep, thickly-accented voice is incongruous coming from a 5'9" 150-lb blond guy), I shouldn't be able to comprehend Mel B's accent. (And as far as I can tell, Mel C. is from Liverpool (yuck), Posh and Geri are from Hertfordshire, and Baby is from the London suburbs.) And no, I obviously didn't see Mel B. in "Rent." Obviously "Rent" and the Spice Girls are connected, and when I see a bleached-blond British guy I automatically think of Alan Smith now, but I forgot about the most direct connection between the Spice Girls and Smudger.

Mr. Bennett was a great Roger, however. His singing voice was awesome, and he was sufficiently angry. I find that role incredibly attractive, or maybe I just identify with him because I spend too much time indoors and haven't written my own one song glory. I have a crush on a depressed, recovering, AIDS-suffering fictional character! w007!

And just because Tamyra Gray's got a beautiful voice (I feel like Mimi should be grittier rather than sweet like she was) does NOT mean I'm going to start watching "American Idol" regularly.

My new earworm (which is nicer than ACK!Bolero): "Holler" by the Spice Girls, natch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home