No good?

20.8.04

Arrggh, I managed to miss both the airing of the (men's, obviously) 100-m backstroke final and the medley relay qualifying because I was...somewhere else. I'm kinda angry because I want one more time seeing Lenny, though I have a strange feeling he might swim tomorrow because he still has the 100-m backstroke world record and Aaron Peirsol was almost disqualified last night for what I think were political reasons. But of course Aaron's done a lot better than his backstroke-double-predecessor has lately.

I do know that four years ago the second-place American 100-m backstroker swam *some* stroke in the qualifying of the medley relay, but this morning that guy swam the anchor leg, freestyle. This year, no American male freestyler even made the semis of the 100, if I remember correctly. Whatever happens though, Lenny's got whichever medal the U.S. might win because he swam in the qualifying round and was the top backstroker in the second heat. In fact, he swam the fastest backstroke leg of all the racers by .36 seconds, and the Americans qualified first. I wonder if I'll be able to find either of the races I missed as files online. I need to go get a tape so I can record tomorrow night from 8 to midnight. And this time I'm planning to go out so I don't record over the backstroke leg of the relay like I did four years ago.

Props to my friend Rosy for having articles from her website cited in Lenny's official biography at the official olympic website. Well, at least the English version of the official Olympic website...

Michael Phelps is bowing out of the medley relay; that's so nice of him. He swam in the qualifier so he also gets whatever medal the team wins. Ian Crocker gets the butterfly leg, as he's the world record holder in that event. And if Lenny still has the WR in the 100-m backstroke, Brendan Hansen has it in the breaststroke, eh? yep, just checked; he does.

And Hugh Jackman is the most fucking amazing actor I've ever fucking seen. I've not seen any of his American movies, just a bit of "Carousel" and "Oklahoma" on PBS, and "The Boy From Oz." I went into that play knowing very little about the story, and walked out totally blown away. I could best describe my sentiment as "Hugh Jackman bluh...", a sense of total speechlessness. He can sing, he can dance, he can act, and I quite frankly wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers (that body...that voice). But that was an impediment before, because the show had half-price tickets available in May and I didn't want to subject five other people to a show I knew nothing about merely because I thought the lead actor was hot. But I think I've seen about 20 musicals, and that was the best. It was too bad we saw "Boy" in the afternoon and "Hairspray" at night, because the latter was awesome as well and became unfairly compared.

Oh, and before the show, I decided to pull my usual groupie and wait for Hugh to arrive and maybe get his autograph...I TOUCHED HIM! (I held something up over my head to get signed, and when he handed it back, I brushed his fingers. Nothing sinister, 'cept for his being left-handed!) And as I was in the barricaded mass, I found out that my mother'd gotten eighth-row tickets.

It turns out I was spelling Ukrainian correctly in the first place, ARRRGGH! It just looks wrong...but so does the idea of 7,311,600 5/8-Ukrainian and wholly Jewish babies...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home