No good?

23.11.03

About an hour ago I decided I was going to sit down and write yet another cover letter to the Boston Globe, hoping they'd take me on as something (I *heart* copy-editing!), and I really want a paying job so I can travel. I obviously don't want to go to concerts travelling, as I said about four entries ago. I just want to get the hell out of Boston for a while and not depend on holidays to get me there (though if I do get a job soon enough to travel somewhere, I think I'm gonna go MLK weekend).

Of course, I haven't started writing anything. I completely lost motivation god only knows when, and it's very hard to get it back when every form of media talks about the fact that there's actually a market upturn, but no jobs coming, especially in Boston. I know there are people who are currently unemployed that have a better chance getting a job than me, because they were actually working for a long time before they lost their jobs, and I haven't had a steady job since...ever. It's not as if I haven't been doing anything, as I've been in school for a long time, but I know it doesn't bode well for me.

I keep getting told I'm a great writer, and I'd like to think I am, but it's very hard to believe because along with my motivation, I completely lost confidence. And my head, for that matter. And also, there are a lot of jobs I will probably apply for that I'm not qualified for, and that really angers me because my sister got a job three months out of college, in the field I want, with no experience whatsoever. I have at least a bit of experience in that area. Obviously, I'm jealous. And slightly competitive. Yet somehow, my competitive nature in regards to my sister isn't showing up here, and I no longer even bother. Then there are the jobs I'm overqualified for, like secretary. I can type 70 words per minute, I know HTML, I can understand Spanish (though my spoken accent sucks my left nut), I know Microsoft Office programs, I engage in lots of written communication, and for some sicko reason, I like alphabetizing things. There are secretaries out there with GEDs, so I should technically be overqualified. I'd hope they don't hire me there because I'm overqualified, and not because I haven't worked in a while. That just sucks.

And god do I need money badly. I want to buy my sister the massage gift certificate I promised her for her high school graduation, I want CDs, I want books, I want a new cell phone. Yeah, I am a material girl. But we're all living in a material world! < / Madonna >

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home